Raed Hashaikeh Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
Full Professor - Materials Science Engineering
Phone number: 971 2 810 9152
Dr. Hashaikeh is a Professor at the materials science and engineering program at Masdar Institute. He joined Masdar Institute back in 2008. He established the Advanced Nanofibers laboratory at MI where he investigates novel synthesis techniques and applications of nanofibers. He serves on the editorial board of the international journal Desalination and the Journal of Water Process Engineering. Dr. Hashaikeh received his Ph.D. in Materials Engineering from McGill University. Before joining Masdar Institute, he spent two years at FPInnovations-Paprican division, Canada, as a scientist. He was also a visiting scholar at MIT between 2008 and 2009.
Advisor to current Masdar Institute students:
- Farah Ejaz Ahmed (PhD)
- Shaheen Fatima Anis (PhD)
- Botagoz Zhuman
- Noora Alhammadi
- Olawale Makanjuola
- Hatem Abu Shammala, Abdullah Khalil (PhD), Maitha Al Kaabi, Yarjan Abdul Samad, Sanaa Pirani, Farah Ahmed, Shaheen Anis, Azza Ahmed Al Raisi, Lama Mahmoud
Research Interest/Research Projects
- Electrospun micro-porous membranes
- Advanced Cellulosic materials
- Nanofibers Fabrication and applications
- Chemical process development
- Catalysts and Advanced materials for electrochemical devices
- Ahmed, F., Lalia, B. S., Kochkodan, V., Hilal, N., & R. Hashaikeh*, (2016). “Electrically conductive polymeric membranes for fouling prevention and detection: A review” Desalination 391 (2016): 1-15.
- Khalil, A., Kim, J. J., Tuller, H. L., Rutledge, G. C., & R. Hashaikeh*, (2016). “Gas sensing behavior of electrospun nickel oxide nanofibers: Effect of morphology and microstructure” Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 227, 54-64.
- Saepurahman, Singaravel, G. P., & R. Hashaikeh*, (2016). Fabrication of electrospun LTL zeolite fibers and their application for dye removal. Journal of Materials Science, 51(2), 1133-1141.
- Lalia, B. S., Garlisi, C., Palmisano, G., & Hashaikeh*, R. (2016). Photocatalytic activity of an electrophoretically deposited composite titanium dioxide membrane using carbon cloth as a conducting substrate. RSC Advances, 6(69), 64219-64227.
- Janajreh, I., Suwwan, D., & Hashaikeh, R. (2016). Theoretical and experimental study of direct contact membrane distillation. Desalination and Water Treatment, 57(33), 15660-15675.
- Khalil, A., Lalia, B. S., & Hashaikeh*, R. (2016). Nickel oxide nanocrystals as a lithium-ion battery anode: structure-performance relationship. Journal of Materials Science, 51(14), 6624-6638.
- Anis, S.F., Khalil, A., Singaravel, G. and Hashaikeh*, R., (2016) A review on the fabrication of zeolite and mesoporous inorganic nanofibers formation for catalytic applications. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 236, pp.176-192. • Ahmed, F, Lalia, B. Hilal, N & Hashaikeh*, R. (2016) Electrically conducting nanofiltration membranes based on networked cellulose and carbon nanostructures, Desalination, In press.
- Janajreh, I., Suwwan, D., & Hashaikeh, R. (2016). Assessment of direct contact membrane distillation under different configurations, velocities and membrane properties. Applied Energy, In Press.
- Mahmoud, L.; Lalia, B., Hashaikeh*, R. (2016) "Carbon nanostructures modified LiFePO4 cathodes for lithium ion battery applications: Optimized porosity and composition", Materials Research Express, Materials Research Express, 3(12), 125008.
- Shaheen Anis and R. Hashaikeh*, “Electrospun zeolite-Y fibers: fabrication and morphology analysis," Microporous & Mesoporous Materials, Accepted. (Impact factor: 3.349)
- Lalia, Boor Singh, Tushar Shah, and R. Hashaikeh*. "Microbundles of Carbon Nanostructures as Binder Free Highly Conductive Matrix for LiFePO4 Battery Cathode." Journal of Power Sources 278 (2015) 314-319. (Impact factor: 6.333)
- Lalia, B. S., Ahmed, F. E., Shah, T., Hilal, N., & R. Hashaikeh*, (2015). Electrically conductive membranes based on carbon nanostructures for self-cleaning of biofouling. Desalination, 360, 8-12. (Impact factor: 4.412)
- F. Ejaz Ahmed, B.S. Lalia, R. Hashaikeh* (2015). A review on electrospinning for membrane fabrication: Challenges and applications. Desalination, 356, 15-30. (Impact factor: 4.412)
- Khalil, A., Dimas, C., & R. Hashaikeh, (2015). Electrospun copper oxide nanofibers as infrared photodetectors. Applied PhysicsA, 118(1), 217-224. (impact factor: 1.7)
- Lalia, B. S., Khalil, A., Shah, T., & R. Hashaikeh* (2015). Flexible carbon nanostructures with electrospun nickel oxide as a lithium-ion battery anode. Ionics, 21(10), 2755-2762. (impact factor: 2.119)
- Khalil, A., & R. Hashaikeh* (2015) “Electrospun Nickel Oxide Nanofibers: Microstructure and Surface Evolution” Applied Surface Science 357, 1333-1342. (impact factor: 3.15)
- Lalia, B. S., Alkaabi, M., & , R. Hashaikeh* (2015). Sulfated Cellulose/Polyvinyl Alcohol Composites as Proton Conducting Electrolyte for Capacitors. Energy Procedia, 75, 1869-1874.
- A. Khalil, R. Hashaikeh*, M. Jouiad, Synthesis and morphology analysis of electrospun copper nanowires, Journal of Materials Science, 1-14. (Impact factor: 2.37)
- S.F. Anis, B.S. Lalia, R. Hashaikeh*, Controlling swelling behavior of poly (vinyl) alcohol via networked cellulose and its application as a reverse osmosis membrane, Desalination, 336 (2014) 138-145. (Impact factor: 4.412)
- F. Ejaz Ahmed, B.S. Lalia, N. Hilal, R. Hashaikeh*, Underwater superoleophobic cellulose/electrospun PVDF–HFP membranes for efficient oil/water separation, Desalination, 344 (2014) 48-54. (Impact factor: 4.412)
- B.S. Lalia, E. Guillen, H.A. Arafat, R. Hashaikeh*, Nanocrystalline cellulose reinforced PVDF-HFP membranes for membrane distillation application, Desalination, 332 (2014) 134-141. (Impact factor: 4.412)
- B.S. Lalia, Y.A. Samad, R. Hashaikeh*, Ternary polymer electrolyte with enhanced ionic conductivity and thermo-mechanical properties for lithium-ion batteries, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 39 (2014) 2964–2970. (Impact factor: 3.205)
- A. Khalil, M. Jouiad, M. Khraisheh, R. Hashaikeh*, " Facile synthesis of copper oxide nanoparticles via electrospinning.” Journal of Nanomaterials, Volume 2014, Article ID 438407, 7 pages. (Impact factor: 1. .758)
- A. Khalil & R. Hashaikeh*, “Electrospinning of nickel oxide nanofibers: Process parameters and morphology control, Materials Characterization,” Materials Characterization, 95 (2014) 65–71. (Impact factor: 2.383) )
- Hu, Thomas Q., R. Hashaikeh, and R. Berry. "Isolation of a novel, crystalline cellulose material from the spent liquor of cellulose nanocrystals (CNCs)." Cellulose (2014) 21:3217–3229. . (Impact factor: 3.195)
- R. Hashaikeh*, B. Lalia, Victor Kochkodan, and Nidal Hilal. "A novel in situ membrane cleaning method using periodic electrolysis." Journal of Membrane Science (2014) 471, 149–154. (impact factor: 5.557)
- A. Khalil, A. Fihri, M. Jouiad , R. Hashaikeh *,Electrospun copper oxide nanoparticles as an efficient heterogeneous catalyst for N-arylation of indole, Tetrahedron Letters, 55 (2014), pp. 5973-5975. (Impact factor: 2.347).
- B.S. Lalia, S. Anand, K.K. Varanasi, R. Hashaikeh*, Fog-Harvesting Potential of Lubricant-Impregnated Electrospun Nanomats, Langmuir, 29 (2013) 13081-13088. (Impact factor: 3.993)
- A. Khalil, B.S. Lalia, R. Hashaikeh*, M. Khraisheh, Electrospun metallic nanowires: Synthesis, characterization, and applications, Journal of Applied Physics, 114 (2013) 171301. (Impact factor: 2.185 )
- B.S. Lalia, V. Kochkodan, R. Hashaikeh*, N. Hilal, A review on membrane fabrication: Structure, properties and performance relationship, Desalination, 326 (2013) 77-95. (Impact factor: 4.412) )
- L. Li, R. Hashaikeh, H.A. Arafat, Development of eco-efficient micro-porous membranes via electrospinning and annealing of poly (lactic acid), Journal of Membrane Science, 436 (2013) 57-67. (Impact factor: 5.557 )
- Y.A. Samad, A. Asghar, B.S. Lalia, R. Hashaikeh*, Networked cellulose entrapped and reinforced PEO‐based solid polymer electrolyte for moderate temperature applications, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 129 (2013) 2998-3006. (Impact factor: 1.640 )
- B.S. Lalia, Y.A. Samad, R. Hashaikeh*, Nanocrystalline cellulose-reinforced composite mats for lithium-ion batteries: electrochemical and thermomechanical performance, Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry, 17 (2013) 575-581. (Impact factor: 2.234) )
- B.S. Lalia, P. Krishnamachari, R. Hashaikeh*, Nanocomposites Formation Through Blending Partially Hydrolyzed Cellulose and Poly (lactic acid), Journal of Biobased Materials and Bioenergy, 7 (2013) 127-134. (Impact factor: 0.76) )
- L. Li, R. Hashaikeh, H.A. Arafat, Preparation of Biodegradable Poly (lactic Acid) Electrospun Membrane with Decreased Pore Size by Post Heat Treatment, Key Engineering Materials, 594 (2014) 260-269. (Impact factor: 0.497 )
- S.I. Pirani, P. Krishnamachari, R. Hashaikeh*, Optimum loading level of nanoclay in PLA nanocomposites: Impact on the mechanical properties and glass transition temperature, Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials, 27 (2014) 1461–1478. (Impact factor: 1.134 )
- S. Pirani, H. Abushammala, R. Hashaikeh*, Preparation and characterization of electrospun PLA/nanocrystalline cellulose‐based composites, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 130 (2013) 3345-3354. (Impact factor: 1.640). Szpunar, Electrolytic processing of MgO coatings, in: Journal of Physics: Conference Series, IOP Publishing, 2009, pp. 012008.
- Y.A. Samad, A. Asghar, R. Hashaikeh*, Electrospun cellulose/PEO fiber mats as a solid polymer electrolytes for Li ion batteries, Renewable Energy, 56 (2013) 90-95. (Impact factor: 3.404)
- S. Pirani, R. Hashaikeh*, Nanocrystalline cellulose extraction process and utilization of the byproduct for biofuels production, Carbohydrate polymers, 93 (2013) 357-363. (Impact factor: 4.219)
- A. Asghar, Y. Abdul Samad, B. Singh Lalia, R. Hashaikeh*, PEG based quasi-solid polymer electrolyte: Mechanically supported by networked cellulose, Journal of Membrane Science, 421 (2012) 85-90. (Impact factor: 5.557 )
- T. Souier, Y.A. Samad, B.S. Lalia, R. Hashaikeh*, M. Chiesa*, Nanoscale thermal analysis of multiphase polymer nanocomposites, The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 116 (2012) 8849-8856. (Impact factor: 4.46) )
- B.S. Lalia, E. Guillen-Burrieza, H.A. Arafat, R. Hashaikeh*, Fabrication and characterization of polyvinylidenefluoride- co-hexafluoropropylene (PVDF-HFP) electrospun membranes for direct contact membrane distillation, Journal of Membrane Science, 428 (2013) 104-115. (Impact factor: 5.557) )
- H. Abushammala, R. Hashaikeh*, C. Cooney, Microcrystalline cellulose powder tableting via networked cellulose-based gel material, Powder Technology, 217 (2012) 16-20. (Impact factor: 2.759)
- A. Asghar, Y.A. Samad, R. Hashaikeh*, Cellulose/PEO blends with enhanced water absorption and retention functionality, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 125 (2012) 2121-2127. (Impact factor: 1.640) )
- B.S. Lalia, Y.A. Samad, R. Hashaikeh*, Nanocrystalline‐cellulose‐reinforced poly (vinylidenefluoride‐co‐hexafluoropropylene) nanocomposite films as a separator for lithium ion batteries, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 126 (2012) E442-E448.(Impact factor:1.640)
- P. Krishnamachari, R. Hashaikeh*, M. Chiesa, K. Gad El Rab, Effects of acid hydrolysis time on cellulose nanocrystals properties: Nanoindentation and thermogravimetric studies, Cellulose Chemistry and Technology, 46 (2012) 13. (Impact factor: 0.83) )
- R. Hashaikeh*, H. Abushammala, Acid mediated networked cellulose: preparation and characterization, Carbohydrate polymers, 83 (2011) 1088-1094. (Impact factor: 4.219)
- R. Hashaikeh*, J. Szpunar, Electrophoretic fabrication of thermal barrier coatings, Journal of Coatings Technology and Research, 8 (2011) 161-169. (Impact factor: 1.342)
- H. Abushammala, R. Hashaikeh*, Enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose and the use of TiO< sub> 2</sub> nanoparticles to open up the cellulose structure, Biomass and Bioenergy, 35 (2011) 3970-3975. (Impact factor: 3.249)
- P. Krishnamachari, R. Hashaikeh*, M. Tiner, Modified cellulose morphologies and its composites; SEM and TEM analysis, Micron, 42 (2011) 751-761. (Impact factor: 1.838)
- R. Hashaikeh, I. Butler, J. Kozinski, Selective promotion of catalytic reactions during biomass gasification to hydrogen, Energy & fuels, 20 (2006) 2743-2747. (Impact factor: 3.24)
- R. Hashaikeh, I. Butler, J. Kozinski, Thin-film ruthenium dioxide coatings via ozone-mediated chemical vapor deposition, Thin solid films, 515 (2006) 1918-1921. (Impact factor: 1.867)
- R. Hashaikeh, Z. Fang, I. Butler, J. Hawari, J. Kozinski, Hydrothermal dissolution of willow in hot compressed water as a model for biomass conversion, Fuel, 86 (2007) 1614-1622. (Impact factor: 3.611)
- R. Hashaikeh, Z. Fang, I. Butler, J. Kozinski, Sequential hydrothermal gasification of biomass to hydrogen, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 30 (2005) 2231-2237. (Impact factor: 4.120)
- R. Hashaikeh, J