Sid Chi-Kin Chau Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Department: Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Program: Computing and Information Science
Phone number: 02-810-9522
Dr. Sid Chi-Kin Chau is an assistant professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Masdar Institute. His research aims to design and develop viable and practical solutions for sustainable smart systems and energy systems, particularly in the areas of smart buildings, smart grids and intelligent vehicles. The information about his research labs can be found at http://SmartSustainability.org
Previously, Dr. Chau was a visiting professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), a senior research fellow at A*STAR in Singapore, a Croucher Foundation research fellow at the University College London (awarded a research fellowship from the Croucher Foundation Hong Kong), and a post-doctoral research associate at University of Cambridge. He received his PhD from University of Cambridge and his BEng from the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Topics in Intelligent Vehicles (CIS 623)
- Sustainability and Computing (CIS 618)
- Advanced Topics in Algorithms (CIS 617)
- Distributed Computer Systems Engineering (CIS 508)
Current Masdar Institute Students
- Chien-Ming Tseng (PhD student)
- Muhammad Aftab (PhD student)
- Areg Karapetyan (Co-advised PhD student)
Research Interest/Research Projects
- Sustainability and computing
- Smart buildings
- Smart grids
- Intelligent vehicles and transportation
- Communication networks and systems
- Optimization and algorithms
- Chi-Kin Chau, Khaled Elbassioni and Majid Khonji, “Truthful Mechanisms for Combinatorial Allocation of Electric Power in Alternating Current Electric Systems for Smart Grid”, to appear in ACM Transactions on Economics and Computation, 2016.
- Chi-Kin Chau, Ivan W. H. Ho, Zhenhui Situ, Soung Chang Liew, Jialiang Zhang, “Effective Static and Adaptive Carrier Sensing for Dense Wireless CSMA Networks”, to appear in IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 2016.
- Chi-Kin Chau, Guanglin Zhang and Minghua Chen, “Cost Minimizing Online Algorithms for Energy Storage Management with Worst-case Guarantee”, to appear in IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 2016.
- Chi-Kin Chau, Majid Khonji and Muhammad Aftab, “Online Algorithms for Information Aggregation from Distributed and Correlated Sources”, to appear in IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 2016.
- Chi-Kin Chau, Qian Wang and Dah-Ming Chiu, “Economic Viability of Paris Metro Pricing for Digital Services”, ACM Transactions on Internet Technology, Special Issue on Pricing and Incentives in Networks and Systems, Vol. 14, No. 12, Issue 2-3, pp12:1-12:21, Oct 2014.