Kumar Shanmugam Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
Assistant Professor – Mechanical and Materials Engineering (MME)
Phone: +971 2 810 9239, +971 55 609 6693
Dr. Kumar Shanmugam is a faculty member in the Mechanical and Materials Engineering (MME) Department at the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology. His research interests are in the area of mechanics of advanced materials and structures at different length scales. He obtained his PhD in Solid Mechanics and Materials Engineering from the Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford and an MPhil in Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering from the University of Southampton. Dr. Kumar also received another Master’s degree from the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and attended graduate school at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras. He was visiting faculty in Mechanics of Solids & Materials Lab at Massachusetts Institute of Technology from Dec 2011 – Jan 2013. He has held a post-doctoral research position in the Materials Department at the University of California, Santa Barbara and has held several R&D positions (including a scientist post in an aero-engine defense R&D lab) spanning about a decade, working on computational modeling and design of materials and structures, before heading to the UK. He is a senior member of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, and is an active member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Society for Adhesion and Adhesives UK and Materials Research Society India.
Dr. Kumar has won several awards including the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council award at Oxford and the Rolls-Royce/DTI Fellowship at Southampton and has an impressive record of publications in peer reviewed international journals. Dr. Kumar is a regular reviewer of several international journals and has edited a book on ‘Advances in modeling and design of adhesively bonded systems,’ which was jointly published by Scrivener and John & Wiley. He also serves on the editorial advisory board of the Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology (USA) and the Journal of Multifunctional Composites (USA).
Dr. Kumar leads the Advanced Materials and Multi-functional Structures (AM2S) Group at Masdar Institute. In AM2S, research efforts are concentrated in the area of modeling of advanced engineering materials and structures. Multi-disciplinary research is undertaken in order to understand the mechanical and functional response of materials and structures at various spatial and temporal scales through theoretical and computational modeling as well as simulation combined with experiments. Current research focuses on novel concepts that combine materials, mechanics and physics to produce multifunctional systems. All these projects involve analytical and computational modeling, prototyping using 3D printing and experimental evaluation.
- MEG 517 Continuum Mechanics
- MEG 518 Advanced Mechanics of Solids & Materials
- MEG 621 Nonlinear Finite Element Method
- Thin films and Multilayers
- Composite Materials & Structures
Advisor to current Masdar Institute students:
- Multi-scale and multi-physics modeling
- Micro- and Nano-composites; Smart materials & structures
- Functionally tailored interfaces & materials
- Bio-inspired design of materials & structures
- Thin films & multi-layered systems (e.g. thermal barrier coatings, adhesively bonded systems, electronic assemblies etc.)
- Cellular materials & foams
- Fatigue, Fracture & Damage mechanics; Lifing & life extension
Dr. Priyank Upadhyaya (BTech, MTech: Aerospace Engineering-IIT Kanpur, MSc, PhD: Engineering Science and Mechanics, University of Alabama)
- Research Area: Transforming Material Architecture
- Transforming material architectures (in collaboration with Professor Mary Boyce, MIT)
- Bio-inspired joining solutions for composites
- Micromechanical modeling of Nano-silica particle tailored adhesive interfaces
- Multi-scale and microstructure evolution modeling of thermal barrier coatings
- Strengthening, repair and life-extension strategies for composite structures
- Modeling and design of nacre-like composite structures
- Kumar S., Cocks, A.C.F., 2013. Sintering and Mud-cracking in EB-PVD Thermal Barrier Coatings, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 60 , 723-749.
- S Kumar and A C F Cocks 2013, Computational Modelling of Constrained Sintering in EB-PVD Thermal Barrier Coatings Modelling Simul. Mater. Sci. Eng. 21 065008 doi:10.1088/0965-0393/21/6/065008
- Kumar S., Scanlan J.P., 2013. On Interface Stiffness Graded Axisymmetric Adhesive Joints, int. Journal of Adhesion & Adhesives, 41, 52-72
- S. Kumar , K.. L. Mittal, 2013 Advances in Modeling and Design of Adhesively Bonded Systems, Wiley-Scrivener,2013