Giovanni Palmisano Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering
Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering
Program: Chemical Engineering
Phone number: +971 2 810 9246
Dr. Giovanni Palmisano earned his MSc in Chemical Engineering and his PhD in Chemical and Materials Engineering from the University of Palermo, Italy.
Before joining Masdar Institute, Dr. Palmisano’s research activities were mainly based in Italy and Spain and concerned photocatalytic processes for organic chemistry, hydrogen production, water and air remediation, and self-cleaning coatings, with a special focus on materials characterization, kinetics, modelling of photo-reactors and radiant fluxes. He has also been involved in organic and hybrid photovoltaics.
From 2009 to 2012, Dr. Palmisano was administrator, chief engineer and safety manager at Hedera Engineering Srl – an Italian company operating in design and construction of photovoltaic plants in Italy. From 2008 to 2013 he was engaged in freelance consulting activity for private companies and Italian municipalities.
Dr. Palmisano has co-authored around 80 papers in peer-reviewed international journals, and he has to his record six patents, six books and six invited book chapters. He is regularly invited to offer lectures and serve as chair-person at international conferences and workshops. He has also guest-edited two special issues of international journals. He is member of the editorial board of two international journals.
- CHE501 Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics (Fall 2014, Fall 2015)
- CHE611 Heterogeneous Catalysis (Spring 2015, Fall 2016, Fall 2017)
- CHE503 Chemical Reactor Engineering (Spring 2016, Spring 2017)
Advisor to current Masdar Institute students
- Corrado Garlisi (PhD) – Multilayered N- and Cu- doped TiO2 films prepared by e-beam evaporation, sputtering and atomic layer deposition
- Gabriele Scandura (PhD) – Multilayered N- and Cu- doped TiO2 films prepared by sol-gel techniques and their application in water treatment and clean energy
- Ahmed Yusuf (PhD) – Microreactor modelling in photocatalysis – applications in water treatment and H2S splitting
- Habeebllah Oladipo (PhD) – Hydrogen generation from the photocatalytic splitting of H2S
- Reem Al Sakkaf (MSc) – In situ FT-IR/MS study of the photocatalytic degradation of EDTA
Supervisor of post-docs/research engineers
- Lütfiye Yildiz Ozer (Research Engineer) – Preparation of N-TiO2/graphene for production of hydrogen from H2S and water decontamination
- Diego Toledano Garcia (MSc) – Photocatalytic ozonation under visible radiation for the remediation of Masdar City’s grey water (2017)
- Oluwadamilola Pikuda (MSc) – Modified brookite-rutile TiO2: photoactivity under visible light irradiation in water treatment applications (awarded as best thesis in chemical engineering and MSc outstanding thesis in Masdar Institute in the academic year 2016/2017) (2016)
- Adetunji Alabi (MSc) – Application of magnetic fields in calcium carbonate scale reduction (2015)
- Menatalla AlaaEldeen Lotfi Ahmed (MSc) (co-advisor) – A combined approach for the removal of Fe and Zn from industrial wastewaters: electrically enhanced membrane bioreactor followed by adsorption using graphene oxide and silica (2017)
- Ahmed Taha Sayed (MSc) (co-advisor) – Modelling bioelectrochemical treatment of aquifer water (2017)
- Gabriele Scandura (MSc) (co-advisor) – Ossidazione fotocatalitica del 2-metossibenzilalcol in fase omogenea ed eterogenea (2013)
- ADEC Award for Research Excellence: New composite nanomaterials based on graphene and doped TiO2 for production of hydrogen from H2S and water decontamination
- Oluwadamilola Pikuda, Corrado Garlisi, Gabriele Scandura, Giovanni Palmisano, Micro-mesoporous N-doped brookite-rutile TiO2 as efficient catalysts for water remediation under UV-free visible LED radiation, Journal of Catalysis, 346 (2017) 109-116 (DOI: 10.1016/j.jcat.2016.12.010) (ISSN: 0021-9517).
- Corrado Garlisi, Gabriele Scandura, Jakub Szlachetko, Sareh Ahmadi, Jacinto Sa, Giovanni Palmisano, E-beam evaporated TiO2 and Cu-TiO2 on glass: performance in the discoloration of methylene blue and 2-propanol oxidation, Applied Catalysis A: General, 526 (2016) 191-199 (DOI: 10.1016/j.apcata.2016.08.022) (ISSN: 0926-860X).
- Gabriele Scandura, Rosaria Ciriminna, Yi-Jun Xu, Mario Pagliaro, Giovanni Palmisano, Nanoflower-like Bi2WO6 encapsulated in ORMOSIL as a novel photocatalytic antifouling and foul-release coating, Chemistry: A European Journal, 22 (2016) 7063-7067 (DOI: 10.1002/chem.201600831) (ISSN: 0947-6539).
- Adetunji Alabi, Matteo Chiesa, Corrado Garlisi, Giovanni Palmisano, Advances in anti-scale magnetic water treatment, Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 1 (2015) 408-425 (DOI: 10.1039/c5ew00052a) (ISSN: 2053-1400).
- Giovanni Palmisano, Vittorio Loddo, Vincenzo Augugliaro, Marianna Bellardita, Giovanni Camera Roda, Francesco Parrino, Validation of a two-dimensional modeling of an externally irradiated slurry photoreactor, Chemical Engineering Journal, 262 (2015) 490-498 (DOI: 10.1016/j.cej.2014.10.013) (ISSN: 1385-8947).
- Francesco Parrino, Vincenzo Augugliaro, Giovanni Camera Roda, Vittorio Loddo, María José López-Muñoz, Carlos Márquez-Álvarez, Giovanni Palmisano, Leonardo Palmisano, Maria Angela Puma, Visible light induced oxidation of trans-ferulic acid by TiO2 photocatalysis, Journal of Catalysis, 295 (2012) 254-260 (DOI: 10.1016/j.jcat.2012.08.018) (ISSN: 0021-9517).
- Giovanni Palmisano, Vittorio Loddo, Hossam El Nazer, Sedat Yurdakal, Vincenzo Augugliaro, Rosaria Ciriminna, Mario Pagliaro, Graphite-supported TiO2 for 4-nitrophenol degradation in a photoelectrocatalytic reactor, Chemical Engineering Journal, 155 (2009) 339-346 (DOI: 10.1016/j.cej.2009.07.002) (ISSN: 1385-8947).
- Sedat Yurdakal, Giovanni Palmisano, Vittorio Loddo, Vincenzo Augugliaro, Leonardo Palmisano, Nanostructured rutile TiO2 for selective photocatalytic oxidation of aromatic alcohols to aldehydes in water, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 130 (2008) 1568-1569 (DOI: 10.1021/ja709989e) (ISSN: 0002-7863).
The complete list of publication and metrics available at my Google Scholar profile: http://scholar.google.it/citations?user=f3tNf5AAAAAJ&hl=it&oi=ao