Ektashif is a one-week residential program for undergraduate students to discover cutting-edge research in renewable energy, sustainability and the environment. Ektashif, which means ‘discovery’ in Arabic, brings together 20 talented UAE Nationals from various universities to participate in exciting hands-on labs conducted by Masdar Institute faculty. The program is held twice a year.
- Raise students’ awareness of current energy and sustainability issues;
- Increase students’ knowledge and interest in renewable energy, sustainability, and scientific research through hands-on labs;
- Encourage students to consider conducting further research in clean energy and sustainability;
- Develop students’ teamwork and communications skills through team building and interactive activities; and
- Inspire students to pursue graduate programs in science or engineering at Masdar Institute.
Sample Ektashif labs include:
- Use of Optical and Electron Microscopy to Study Materials from Micron to Nano-scale
- Direct Methanol Fuel Cells
- Build a Robot!
- How to Make Hard Metals Behave like Play-Dough!
- Waste Material Characterization
- Earth Observation Lab
Besides labs, students participate in design challenges, evening lectures, and recreational activities. During the one-week program, Ektashif participants are provided with accommodation, meals and transportation.
Ektashif participants are nominated by their university's Dean or Department Head. Nominees should have the following qualifications:
- Be a UAE National
- Be an upcoming Junior or Senior
- Have completed their matriculation in science, information technology (computer science), engineering, or other academic major that matches the admissions criteria for Masdar Institute
- Have an excellent GPA (3.5 or above) and solid command of English
- Demonstrate interest, talent or scholastic output relating to renewable energy and/or environmental issues.